Friday, March 29, 2013

What Exactly Does WDW Attraction Hostess Do???




Me working podium/Panel at Pooh 


If you are familiar with my blog you know that I have had two internships at Walt Disney World. I was an Attractions Hostess in 2000 in FantasyLand right before the new costumes were introduced. Most people aren't aware of what extensive training Attraction cast members receive. I worked at: Winnie the Pooh, Mad Tea Party, Dumbo, Ariel's Grotto, & Snow White's Scary Adventure. I had to memorize all the characters, scenes within each attraction, stories behind the attraction in detail, fire exits & fire extinguisher locations as well as emergency procedures for each attraction. On top of all of that we had to learn how to load/unload special Wheelchair cars & how to reboot an attraction if it suddenly stalls. You only have 30 seconds to load a wheelchair car on Winnie the pooh until the attraction will automatically shut down. That is a lot of pressure to do that in 30 seconds!!! I think I only had to load a wheelchair car ever twice but I did it within the time allotted. :)

 We also had to do ride throughs after the park closed every night which was fun. :) We also had to do walk throughs & pick up all the trash in the attractions. I miss walking through the scenes after close. I will probably never get to do that again unless I work at WDW again....

We also had to memorize all the spiels for Dumbo or what to say if a ride breaks down/evacuation procedures/lightning spiels. One time I was loading guests on  SWSA & the ride suddenly stopped for no reason. The girl working the podium/panel freaked out. I had to take charge  & made an announcement to have everyone stay seated & they would be moving momentarily. After a few buttons being pressed I had the ride up & running within 20 seconds! :) I took my training very seriously & took an extra day. You have to pass a lengthy written/oral test before you can go to work without a trainer. You are studying with a trainer for those first few days. I was a VERYYYYY shy person before my internship. I admit I cried right before I said my very first Dumbo spiel. It was terrifying to talk in front of all of those people if you are as shy as I was! I still have the spiel memorized to this day because I said it so many times. HAHA ...Now all the spiels are automated by a computer?! I am glad in hindsight that I had to do it because it helped my shyness by 10000000%! I will always be grateful to Disney for that. I don't know if I'd be the same person today without those experiences. :) When I got home my family was amazed at how much I changed for the better. 

Next time you are at WDW I hope you appreciate all the cast members keeping you safe at all times. :) 

Please remember to "like" my FB page at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyohobloggerslifeformeblogspotcom/399050306822131



Old control panel for pooh. It has since been updated


Me & Pooh napping in scene on ride ;) 
SWSA Evil Queen Chair 

Me in Tigger Scene

Me in scene of SWSA


1 comment:

  1. current inhabitant of Fantasyland and the Hundred Acre Woods and that Pooh console looks intimidating! It's so cool seeing how things used to be with Pooh bear and friends

    ReplyDelete

Facebook

Kate Smith likes

Yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.comYohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Create your Like Badge