Wednesday, December 9, 2015

DisneyLand Snack Mini Reviews....

DisneyLand Snack Mini Reviews

Written by Paul T. 




My partner and I went to Disneyland for the first time this past October (October 2015).   We've been to Walt Disney World twice and looked forward to visit "Walt's park" for the 60th anniversary celebration.   

California Adventure was the first park we visited.  We had breakfast at Flo’s V8 CafĂ© and had reservations for dinner at the Carthay Circle Restaurant so we didn’t want a big lunch. In the early afternoon we stopped for a beverage and had the 60th anniversary cupcake from the Fiddler, Fifer& Practical Cafe (aka a Starbucks) at California Adventure.  

It's located on Buena Vista Street across from the Carthay Circle Restaurant.  This is a large counter service that serves the normal Starbucks beverages both hot and cold, smoothies, as well as various sandwiches, salads, muffins, cookies, and seasonal items.  It looked like a nice place for a quick lunch or dinner and they also offer a few breakfast sandwiches.  There were lots of tables inside as well as a few tables outside.  I just wanted something cold to drink but when I saw the special 60th anniversary cupcake beautifully displayed in the case with lights shining on it, it just called out to me so I had to get one to share.  I'm glad we shared it because it would have been too much for one person.  It was $5.99 and large.   This is the official description from the on-line menu:  


Orange Cupcake with White Chocolate Crunchy Pearls, Mixed Berry Filling, Cream Cheese Bavarian Mousse, Silver Dust Sparkles and Buttercream Trim.  

I had no idea what to expect because I didn't read the description:  the cupcake just looked really good.  The combination of orange cake and chocolate was amazing!   I thought the white chocolate pearls were milk chocolate chips in orange cake until I read the menu. The chocolate pearls had a slight crunch to them which added a nice texture to the cupcake.   I never thought to combine orange cake with chocolate.  It's a really good combination.  The Bavarian Mousse was not overly sweet and added to flavor combination.  In the middle was a small dollop of berry filling sort of like jelly that was an unexpected surprise.  It tasted like raspberry filling but the menu describes it as mixed berry.  

At first I thought $5.99 for the cupcake was a little overpriced but, like all things Disney, they really thought about it, plussed it up, and created a really special cupcake that looks great and has a great combination of flavors.  I read this cupcake is also available in Disneyland but the cake is lemon rather than orange.  

 
Our next two days were devoted to Disneyland.   We stopped at the Village Haus Restaurant for a snack.  This has a Pinocchio theme.  From the outside it looks like it was plucked right out of the 1940 cartoon Pinocchio and the theming is carried inside.  There were carved figures from Pinocchio inside and outside and murals on the inside walls with scenes from the movie.   The details were all around and it added to the "Pinocchio" feel of the restaurant.   I also think Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs would feel at home here too.   This is another counter service with lots of tables inside and lots outside.  We took advantage of the great weather and sat outside.  Village Haus is open for lunch and dinner and serves various sandwiches, hamburgers, veggie burgers, salads, pizza, cookies, cupcakes, & various beverages.   






We only wanted some iced tea but when I saw they had apple strudel on the sign I ordered that too.   I figured the apples made it healthy.  My expectations were not high for the strudel.  I expected it to be doughy, not crispy or flaky, but figured I'd give it a shot and ordered it.  



I was pleasantly surprised with the apple strudel!  It was large piece of strudel that was flaky and chock full of delicious apples that were flavorful and the perfect texture--not too hard and not mushy.  It was dusted with powdered sugar and contained lots of apple slices in a tasty filling that I think had a mixture of cinnamon & maybe some cloves or allspice in it, all wrapped up in a flaky dough.   I know I keep talking about how many apples there were but there really were a lot of apples.   The strudel also had raisins in it, which I liked but my partner did not but they were easy to put aside.  It came with a side of vanilla bean sauce that I drizzled over the piece of strudel.   The sauce was good, but sweet.  I was glad it came on the side so you could choose how much or how little to put on the strudel.   The apple strudel was really tasty, from the crust, the sauce, and the great apple filling with lots of apples.  I was expecting some glorified flat frozen dessert that was microwaved from a box but this was more like a homemade strudel my German great-aunt Marga would make for Christmas or Easter.    
 

The next snack in Disneyland was the famous Matterhorn macaroon which is available from the Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe for a mere $1.99.   A snack for only $1.99!   This is a quick service restaurant that is Mary Poppins themed.   The style sort of reminded me of the Grand Floridian in Florida.   There is outside seating but I don't remember any indoor seating.  They have breakfast, lunch, and dinner.   Breakfast looks like they only have muffins & cakes and various beverages but for lunch and dinner they offer some sandwiches, soup, and salads.  The number of items on the menu seem limited but what they do offer does sound good.   The Jolly Holiday Bakery is located on the hub of Disneyland, near the Partners statue of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse.   It was almost parade time and we were lucky to get a seat on a bench on Main Street for a front row view of Mickey's Soundsational Parade which is Disneyland's daytime parade. The sun was hot and we wanted a drink.  The Jolly Holiday was right across from our bench.  I remembered reading something about the bakery but forgot what it was.  Then I saw a little sign for the Matterhorn macaroon and remembered this is where the famous macaroons are, but didn't actually see any in the cases.   

There were cupcakes, cookies, and sandwiches but no macaroons so I asked.   They had them in the back--yeah!  Since they were only $1.99 I assumed they would be tiny and ordered one for each of us.  They were fairly large.   You could share one between two people and each would get a good taste but I think it's better not to share this snack.   They are a good size but not huge.  The macaroon was great!  It was chewy, moist, and had a great flavor of coconut with a bit of almond.  A macaroon is mainly coconut, sugar, and flour so if you don't like the flavor of coconut you probably won't like a macaroon.  This was the best macaroon I've ever had.   The flavor and texture were excellent and it was so moist and chewy.  Disney takes the Matterhorn macaroon to the next level, of course.  It's shaped like the famous Matterhorn Mountain and is topped with a bit of pure white icing that represents the snow on the nearby mountain.  The Matterhorn Bobsled ride opened in Disneyland in 1959 and was the first tubular steel roller coaster ever constructed.   During the roller coaster ride you meet the terrifying Yeti a couple of times.  Unlike the one in Florida, this Californian Yeti actually moves!   Eating the Matterhorn macaroon near the historic Matterhorn ride, in Walt's park, waiting for the parade made a special Disneyland memory.  

Thank you SO much to Paul for taking the time to write these awesome reviews & to share his pictures with us! 

Please feel free to send me any questions that you may have. Thank you!  yohoyohobloggerslifeforme@gmail.com

Subscribe to my Disney Podcast ( Mousellaneous DIScussions)on iTunes or Stitcher or listen by this link:
Follow me on Twitter at:
Please join my Disney FB Discussion Group!
Follow me on Pinterest at: 
Or on Tumblr at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Kate Smith likes

Yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.comYohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Create your Like Badge